Saturday, September 6, 2008

Finally starting to fall in love...

So, after a HUGE, TERRIBLE night where we cried a lot and were both ready to come home, and by home we meant back to the states, we went to sleep. That was wednesday, I believe.

It turned out my scholarship wouldn't transfer. Graydon wanted me to transfer anyways, and I sort-of did, too. But I wasn't sure that's what I was supposed to do. And I was afraid of conflict, as always. :D And I felt so alone, and like we'd been told to come here and then left to fend for ourselves--everything had been going WRONG. And it wasn't FAIR. And I said things I shouldn't have said, and was dutifully reprimanded by my loving husband. And then I read my best friend Emily's e-mail about here equally terrible and confusing day, and the hymn she said helped her, and it really helped me. "Fear not, I am with thee, oh be not afraid! For I am thy God and will still give thee aid! I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand! Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand!"

Thank you, Emily. 

That was a lifesaver, and I sang it the whole next day. In my head, of course. :) Graydon has started talking to A BUNCH of people on the trains, which is good for his sociability! So that's great! I haven't reached that point yet...but yesterday he had THREE missionary moments with THREE different people! Isn't that wonderful? Yes, my husband IS amazing!

And something great happened yesterday, too! Well, it started on Thursday when I went to my class, and had to get off at Schwabstrasse, which is an older part of the city, and it is SO MUCH BETTER there! I loved it so much more than the Vaihingen campus, and even though I got lost twice, it was so nice to be lost in such a beautiful city. And then yesterday I went to buy a book on the Vaihingen campus, but they didn't have what I needed, so I had to go to the Stadtmitte train, and got off in the middle of the city where no cars were allowed, only feet and bicycles! And it was so beautiful--street vendors everywhere and tall buildings that were new but somehow felt the feel of the city. It was so nice. So even though I got lost again and was going to be late to class, I was feeling happier! 

And then when I was riding the train last night, I looked up at the sky and the trees, and realized, "Hey! I love it here! I WANT to live here!!" And then I realized I was living here! And it was a nice, new development.

We're still, however, fighting the home sickness. I think I'm a little more immune to it because I had my severe case of homesickness over the summer, but Graydon is extremely perceptible, so it's been difficult. We miss you all and LOVE you all!

'Til later!

No comments: